I can’t believe it’s been 11 years since the first X-Men movie came out! It was that movie that made me a fan of the franchise and the trailer for that movie that began my crush (okay, some might say obsession) with James Marsden. I don’t even remember what movie I was originally watching, but it was months before the July release of X-Men, and the trailer came on screen. Literally, the split second that this shot was actually onscreen, I said to my friend “Ohmygod, who is that? So hot. Love him.”
When that movie came out, my then-classmate and I went to see it SO many times because of a second-run cheap movie theatre near our university. When we had a spare period, we’d go see the movie. Again. (Hey, it was only $3!) She loved Wolverine, I loved Cyclops. Win/win! Since then, I’ve tried to watch most of his movies, pre & post X-Men. A few of the stand-out pre-X-Men ones for me were Bella Mafia & Gossip. To be honest, I still haven’t seen The Box. I’ve heard it wasn’t fantastic, and I did get it previously viewed at Blockbuster, but I have yet to actually sit and watch it. Post-X-Men work, I loved Enchanted, x2, his stint on Ally McBeal..
It’s strange how many close encounters, or “six degrees”-like connections I’ve had though.
- Gossip was the first DVD I bought, and actually didn’t realize James Marsden was in it until I was about to go pay for it. (Really didn’t know why I would’ve picked it up to buy for any other reason, now that I think about it.)
- A friend and I were walking by the Much Music building one evening when they were having some type of awards show. I found out the next day, when watching the re-broadcast of it, that where we had been standing… if I stayed for another 5-10 minutes, James would have been right in front of us presenting something! Mentioning that to a classmate, he said he was doing backstage technician work for the awards show and actually had a drink with him after the show that night.
- When I was just in LA a few weeks ago, my contact that I was meeting with said that she’s seen him before he was famous, as a server somewhere. And (I can’t remember the exact relation) but that she has a friend who’s friends with him and his buddy (or something like that)
- He seems to pop up in whatever I’m watching too, usually without prior knowledge. For example, I was at the theatres watching Zoolander and had commented to my friend jokingly that I wonder if James Marsden is in this because it seems there’s EVERYONE making a cameo in that movie. Found out afterwards, via IMDB, that he actually did have a cameo in it. I had been watching Ally McBeal because Josh Groban was guest starring on it. Got hooked and then found out the new season had James joining the cast (with a short haircut & suit no less). And then his guest star episode of Modern Family… hilarious.
- Probably the closest I ever got to seeing/meeting him was when I was last in LA, in 2007 with my two friends. We had been at Santa Monica Pier the day before and a guy was giving out “passes” for TV show tapings. It was for Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (who I also love.. you cheeky wee monkey.) and it was good for the week. So we got back and checked online to see the guest line-up for the week. That’s when I saw that the following day, Wednesday, was when James was going to be a guest on the show. I couldn’t pass up this chance! To see my favourite actor on my favourite late-night show! So we got to the studios early enough the next afternoon, went through all the security checks, lined up along the audience waiting area outside of the studio and got “warmed up” by the people who get the audience excited. We finally started to file into the studio when they cut the line off ONE PERSON IN FRONT OF US. I couldn’t believe my luck. Literally one person away. My friends, who knew how much I wanted to see him, even asked if they just had the one seat for me to go in if not all 3 of us, but they wouldn’t budge. SO devastated. 🙁 I’m still slightly bitter about it, 4 years later… lol
With the release of X-Men: First Class this weekend, it made me realize just how long ago the first movie had come out! (And how long this celeb crush has been going on for! lol) Who knows… all these almost-encounters may be leading up to actually meeting him one day. Though, I honestly wouldn’t even know what to say if that ever happened.