Last night was the Emmy Awards! I personally love the Emmy’s more than the Oscars.. Mostly because of the fact that I watch more TV than I do movies, so it’s more relevant to me.
Like I did with the Oscars, I’ve kept score based on my predictions/wishes vs the actual winners. Did your favourites win?
Before I get to the Emmy results, a few quick red carpet moments I wanted to point out:
- Lea Michele looked gorgeous wearing Marchesa. Becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Marchesa lately, seeing some shots of runway looks. Always gorgeous dresses. Colour is everywhere in the outfits! Lots of bright vibrant hues, lots of red dresses (Lea Michele, Nina Dobrev, Sofia Vergara, Kate Winslet..)
- Love Hugh Laurie. Love Alan Cumming.
- Awkward interviewers on the red carpet from Fox. Question to Steve Buscemi “You actually haven’t won an Emmy before. What’s THAT all about?” Um…
- Okay, Fox interviewers are HORRIBLE for keeping surprises a surprise! Within 5 minutes, in 2 separate back-to-back red carpet interviews they just blabbed the surprise that Johnny Galecki & Wilmer Valderama have a surprise part in the opening sequence.
A few additional awards show comments:
- Jane Lynch hosting. Love her. Opening sequence: awesome. Big Bang Theory! Mythbusters! Mad Men cameo was hilarious.
- Everyone’s bringing on the funny! Ricky Gervais’ edited clip was hilarious. The Lead Comedy Actress nominees all getting up on stage, The Office segment with all the cameos… all fantastic.
- The Lonely Island medley musical performance was pretty epic. John Stamos & Ed Helms channeling Samberg & Timberlake were perfect.
- Most uncomfortable moment? Charlie Sheen presenting the award for his former category, and then making a serious & somber speech to his former show.
On to the awards results! (I don’t have all the categories.. I pulled this key nominees list from Entertainment Weekly)
Bold is who I want to win
Italics is who I think will win
Underline is the actual winner
Best drama series: Boardwalk Empire, Friday Night Lights, Dexter, Game of Thrones, The Good Wife, Mad Men.
- I picked two that I think will win.. I’m guessing it’s down to Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones, as both were really highly acclaimed this past year.
Best comedy series: Modern Family, 30 Rock, Glee, The Office, The Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation.
- I honestly love all 6 of these shows and would be happy with ANY of these winning! (Thank goodness Two and a Half Men isn’t on this list anymore. I just can’t stand that show!)
Drama actress: Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife; Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men; Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU; Kathy Bates, Harry’s Law; Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights and Mireille Enos, The Killing.
- Don’t really have a comment on these.. I’ve only seen SVU and The Killing, and Enos kinda bugged me on that show.. so I pick Detective Stabler.
Comedy actor: Steve Carell, The Office; Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock; Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory; Matt LeBlanc, Episodes, Louis C.K., Louie; Johnny Galecki, Big Bang Theory.
- This was a tough one too because I’d really be okay with any of the nominees winning but I think it’s Steve Carell’s time with him having left the show. But really surprised he didn’t get it. Parsons is a good (consistent) Emmy choice, but still.. give the other guys a chance!
Drama actor: Jon Hamm, Mad Men; Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire; Kyle Chandler,Friday Night Lights; Michael C. Hall, Dexter; Hugh Laurie, House; Timothy Olyphant, Justified.
- Well, the only one I can really say I “want” to win is Michael C. Hall or Hugh Laurie because I haven’t really seen any of the other shows (yet!) – I do want to add that those presenters, the new Charlie’s Angels, were incredibly irritating. First noise out of them was giggles (yep. Gonna take you gals seriously.) and then squealing like teenyboppers the name of the winner that you can’t quite make out who it was they just said.
Comedy actress: Tina Fey, 30 Rock; Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie; Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation; Laura Linney, The Big C; Martha Plimpton, Raising Hope; Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly.
- Fey or Poehler is my pick! I think Amy might take it.. she’s been hilarious on Parks & Rec this year. Okay, as mentioned above, that was the best bit ever… all the nominees getting up on stage like a pageant.. hilarious. Thought it was spontaneous though, but then they had the tiara & flowers.. some of them still looked startled to go up, so maybe it was just Amy (and Tina?) who planned it!
Supporting drama actor: Andre Braugher, Men of a Certain Age; John Slattery, Mad Men; Alan Cumming, The Good Wife; Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones; Josh Charles, The Good Wife; Walton Goggins, Justified.
- I haven’t seen any of these shows, but I’m going to guess on Alan Cumming because I like him!
Supporting comedy actor: Ty Burrell, Modern Family; Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family; Ed O’Neill, Modern Family; Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family; Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men; Chris Colfer, Glee.
- Another category that I’m really okay with almost any of them winning. As long as it’s not Two and a Half Men, I’m okay. Seriously though, Modern Family cast is hilarious but might split the vote with so many of them in the same category? Hoping Phil Dunphy for the win tho.. love him & his antics.
Supporting comedy actress: Julie Bowen, Modern Family; Sofia Vergara, Modern Family; Jane Lynch, Glee; Betty White, Hot in Cleveland; Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live; Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock.
- I was hoping Jane Lynch would win, but I didn’t think they’d give it to the host.. would be too obvious/awkward I’d think.. (Like Neil Patrick Harris hosting and also not winning)
Supporting drama actress: Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife; Kelly Macdonald, Boardwalk Empire; Christine Baranski, The Good Wife; Michelle Forbes, The Killing; Margo Martindale,Justified; Christina Hendricks, Mad Men.
- Couldn’t stand her on True Blood, but Michelle Forbes in The Killing was fantastic.
Movie or miniseries: Mildred Pierce, HBO; Downtown Abbey, PBS; The Kennedys, ReelzChannel; Cinema Verite, HBO; Too Big To Fail, HBO;Pillars of the Earth, Starz.
- Hmm haven’t seen any of these, so I’m just going to take a guess!
Reality competition: So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef, The Amazing Race, American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, Project Runway.
- I’m an Amazing Race fan through and through. They’ve won every year except last year.. and I think Top Chef might take it again this time. (Annnnnd I’m glad I was wrong about Top Chef! Yay Amazing Race… back on top!)
Reality host: Jeff Probst,Survivor; Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance; Phil Keoghan, Amazing Race; Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars; Ryan Seacrest, American Idol.
- Aww.. I love my Phil Keoghan.. <3
Variety, music or comedy series: The Colbert Report, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,Saturday Night Live, Conan, Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
- Tough one, but I think Daily Show’s going to take it again. (The Bin Laden’s death coverage was GOLD.)
I should really just stick with who I think will win, rather than banking on who I want to win.. 😛
I’m a little sad there was no Glee-love at the Emmy’s, but based on this past season of TV, Modern Family totally nailed it. They deserve all their wins! Overall, a really entertaining show. Jane Lynch was fantastic.