Earlier this year (Jan 2, to be precise), I participated in the 2011 End of Year Book survey (hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner) so it’s fitting to reflect on this past year’s reading with the 2012 installment!
I actually had a tricky time filling this survey out.. so many of my answers are unsure ones since I found it so hard to narrow down my selection(s).
Best In Books 2012
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
- Adult fiction: Zoo by James Patterson & On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves
- Contemporary YA: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
- Dystopian YA: Divergent by Veronica Roth
- Historical/Non-Contemporary Fiction: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare & The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott
- Graphic Novel: Hark! A Vagrant! by Kate Beaton & The Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks
- Non-Fiction: Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
I’m having a hard time with this one. I don’t usually have a preconceived notion of what the book’s like prior to reading it, so it’s hard for it to surpass expectations that weren’t there to begin with.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Divergent by Veronica Roth – for sure. I couldn’t believe it took me that long to get to it, I had to share the awesomeness!
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
There’s quite a few since I read a lot of books by authors I hadn’t read before this year. Veronica Roth may top the list though..
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I guess it’ll have to be Secret Santa Baby. I don’t often read a lot of romance, so this e-novella was quite an enjoyable one!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Zoo by James Patterson.
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
I don’t often re-read books… to many ones I haven’t read to have time to RE-read ones.. the only books I’ve ever read more than once are the Harry Potter series, and there are potential plans to read those again in 2013….
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
While I do love the cover of Masque of the Red Death, I’d have to say it’s Die For Me:
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Hmm maybe Beyonce the chicken in Jenny Lawson’s Let’s Pretend This Never Happened 😉
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. While I didn’t love it as much as others have, I can’t dispute that it’s really beautifully written.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Possibly Rick Mercer’s book A Nation Worth Ranting About. It made me see Canada in a whole new light since, as of late, I’ve been pretty immersed in the U.S. politics with the election and all. Made me realize I don’t know a lot about my own country’s political environment.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Once again, it’ll have to be Divergent.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
There are so many that I come across and I don’t always remember to take note of it. One that I read recently though, was from Ellen’s book Seriously… I’m Kidding.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
- Longest: Might be Insurgent by Veronica Roth at 525 pages.
- Shortest: Funny enough, also a Veronica Roth read: Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story. Not sure if this counts, but at 13 pages, it’s definitely the shortest!
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Oh, SO many to pick from…. but I might have to go with Anna & T.J. in Tracey Garvis-Graves’ On the Island.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver. I loved this sequel to Delirium!
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
A large majority of the ones I read are from recommendations! The best one though…. Divergent. 😳
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
It’s horrible to say that I’ve lost track of when I’ve discovered so many great blogs! I can’t remember if I “officially” found out about them last year or this year…
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
Oh, I don’t know… :/ um.. maybe the one for This Dark Endeavour by Kenneth Oppel?
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
It’d probably be the one about favourite bad boys with a heart of gold!
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I can’t remember exactly what the topic was anymore, but I think it was on Fiktshun’s Ramblings‘ blog from a while back.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
DEFINITELY the Ontario Blog Squad meet-up. Not even for the reason that I was part of the organizing committee, but it was just an amazing event with so many publishers, authors and fellow book bloggers in the same room to chat about books!
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
I’d probably say the amazing publishers’ events that I’ve had the amazing opportunity to have attended. From Random House’s Blogger Love Fest to Harper Collins’ Frenzy Fall Launch, it’s been amazing.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Maybe some of my Swoon-Worthy Sundays posts?
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
BookCloseouts.com maybe? While I haven’t purchased anything from there yet, I’ve heard so many people talk about it!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I gave up on a few of them along the way but the #50bookpledge was achieved, and then some!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Hah! All of them?? 😉
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Probably Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi!
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Surpass my reading count for the #50bookpledge this year.. looks like I’m going to be holding steady for 77/50 to close out 2012. And just keep doin’ what I’m doin’… making sure I still enjoy it and it never becomes a chore.