Presented in association with Random House of Canada, TIFF launches its third season of the Books on Film subscription series at the TIFF Bell Lightbox on Monday, February 11th 2013. This is a great series for those who love amazing cinema and the brilliant books that inspired it. Eleanor Wachtel from CBC’s Writers and Company hosts this 6-night series, welcoming authors and other special guests from the industry to discuss the sometimes challenging art of adaptation from page to screen.
Looking at the special guests that are scheduled to attend, I’m excited that this will be an interesting evening of books and movies talk. (My own personal mantra is always to read the book before seeing the movie/TV show!) and I loved both Precious and Atonement, yet haven’t had a chance to see either movie yet.
Interested? Here’s the schedule for this season! All showings are at 7pm on Mondays.
- February 11— Hilton Als (author and New Yorker theatre critic) on The Innocents
- March 4 — Richard Russo (Pulitzer Prize–winning author) on Nobody’s Fool
- April 8 — Lisa Cortés (music and film producer, driving force behind success of Def Jam Records) on Precious
- May 6 — Christopher Hampton (award-winning screenwriter and playwright) on Atonement (which he adapted to screen)
- June 3 — Ted Kotcheff (filmmaker and executive producer of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) on The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
- June 24 — Deepa Mehta (Canadian filmmaker) on Midnight’s Children
The first 100 subscribers will receive a free copy of each book featured, courtesy of RHC!
Subscriptions for all 6 movies are $153 for TIFF members and $180 for non-members ($144 for students). For TIFF members, that’s only $25.50 for a movie & free book! ($30 each for non-members)
Depending on availability, single tickets may be made available closer to the date. Click here to get your subscription!