It’s that time of year again… 2013 has flown by and Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner has her 4th annual book survey up – so time to look back at the past 12 months and 82 books read to see what falls into what category!
This survey is for all the books that were read in 2013, not necessarily those that were released this year.
Best In Books 2013
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
- Adult fiction: The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
- Contemporary YA: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Dystopian YA: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
- Historical/Non-Contemporary Fiction: Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross
- Graphic Novel: Hawkeye Vol 1 by Matt Fraction
- Non-Fiction: Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Ron Burgundy’s Let Me Off at the Top! I loved Anchorman and I guess I wasn’t sure what to expect in hindsight, given what the character is like. Also, The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd which I just finished the other night.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa & Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (both read for Brunch Book Club!)
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2013?
The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Jonathan Maberry’s Rot & Ruin series and Julie Kagawa’s The Iron Fey series
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell, among many others that I listed in a previous Top 10 Tuesday.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
That would probably have to be Tampa by Alissa Nutting.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Hmm I think I’ll have to go with Vicious by V.E. Schwab
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Like I said last year, I don’t often re-read books and the only ones I reread are the Harry Potter series (which I thought I was going to get to this past year). At least 2014, we have an “official” re-read planned so I WILL get to it finally!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
It’s a tie between The Painted Girls and Unravel Me.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
I’d have to go with the pairing of Eleanor & Park from Rainbow Rowell’s book of the same name.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. I love her beautiful prose and style of writing.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Books about bullying always hit me hard.. so Darren Hynes’ Creeps and Rainbow Rowell’s Eleanor & Park would fit this category.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater and The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
Oh there are so so many, and thank goodness I often Instagram the quotes I like so I just had to go look back through my year with what book passages I had taken a picture of.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
- Longest: Night Film by Marisha Pessl (Thank you Goodreads for this feature!)
- Shortest: Hm that’s a toughie since I read a bunch of graphic novels and e-novellas.. I think it would be Bois de Boulogne by Cathy Marie Buchanan.. at only 8 pages.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Hidden by Catherine McKenzie and probably The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Oh, Rainbow Rowell’s Eleanor & Park is definitely up at the top of the list. Also probably Victor and Eli from Vicious by V.E. Schwab with their Xavier/Magneto-like dynamic.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You Read Previously
The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JKR…which I’m counting in this case!)
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
I feel like I got to a lot more Adult Fiction and less YA this year I think but it might be split pretty even.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Might be Warner from Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi or Victor from Vicious by V.E. Schwab… ooh! No, scratch that. I’m going to have to say Hawkeye from the Matt Fraction graphic novels! 😛
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Night Film by Marisha Pessl
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Nick Offerman’s Paddle Your Own Canoe
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Hmm I don’t often cry at shows or books but one that nearly made me cry would be… Eleanor & Park
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross!!
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2013
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Oh wow..I can’t remember, really.. I barely find time to keep up with the ones I currently follow let alone remember who I newly discovered this year. There’s definitely been a bunch of new pals that I’ve started following
2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2013?
Good question. I really have no idea… I guess I’m happy with the ones I wrote for Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross, Losing It by Cora Carmack, The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd and the one I wrote for Aladdin: the musical. It’s hard for me to pick my “favourite”…
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Not book related but it might have to be my experience with bratty kids on the train.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I’ve been consumed with reading editorials and posts on blogs about our controversial “mayor”. There have been numerous ones that were incredibly thought-provoking, exploring all different scenarios and analyzing what needs to happen to get some change around here. While not on a blog per se, I thought Rick Mercer’s rant on this subject to be pretty bang-on.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
There were so many this year but I might have to say it would have to be Book Expo America. My first time attending and it was such a fantastic and crazy experience.
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2013?
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Not book-related but it would have to be my recap of Patrick J. Adams’ Sea/Land photography exhibit (in LARGE part due to the Suits star tweeting out my recap link to his followers!)
— Patrick J Adams (@halfadams) October 22, 2013
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Maybe my Paris Month posts.. A lot of time & effort go into planning a whole month of Paris love in April and while I do see the page views, there are not as many comments.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Creemore’s Curiosity House Bookstore!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Same answer as last year… all of them!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014?
Probably Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi and Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige.
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Same as above, Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
I’ll have to agree with Jamie on this one and say Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me series.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Also same as last year.. just keep doing what I’m doing as long as I still enjoy it. 🙂