February definitely got away from me quickly! I left starting Chamber of Secrets to the second last day of the month… definitely won’t be able to do that for the subsequent books that get longer! Here’s a bunch of my thoughts while re-reading this second book, and some other fun things I’ve thrown in for the wrap-up this month!
- For how much the Dursleys hate Harry, it’s weird how they’d rather keep him in the house than to send him back to the school! Also didn’t realize how much Vernon + Dudley = Toronto’s Ford 0_o
- Completely forgot that they all meet Hermione’s parents at Gringotts!
- Like Kaley (Books Etc.) and Giselle (booknerd.ca) said, it’s hard not to picture Kenneth Branagh as Gilderoy Lockhart. I feel the same way about Alan Rickman as Snape
- Ron’s slug face is so comically LOLZ bad…
- Between Harry’s detention with Lockhart doing his fan mail and his upcoming detention with Umbridge in Book 5, he seems to get punished a lot with “writing” tasks.
- The first two books are so much like the movie… with the same dialogue pulled right from the books. Love it.
- Harvesting Mandrakes is pretty disturbing. So many human qualities (young & crying, moody & secretive, trying to move into each other’s pots) to then harvest and stew them up for a restorative potion. Pretty grizzly. >_<
- JKR’s writing has a LOT of focus on the eye colour of the characters. I feel like 95% of the time that eyes are menitoned, the colour is also in that same description.
- Hm. Forgot that Dumbledore had taught Transfiguration before being Headmaster…
Really the Chamber of Secrets is misnamed. There's just the one secret in there. #HarryPotterReread
— Dee @ EditorialEyes (@dh_editorial) March 1, 2014
- It’s no wonder my first reading of this part confused me all those years ago. The logic of it, upon this re-read, doesn’t jive with me. Tom Marvolo Riddle’s name mixed around is “I Am Lord Voldemort”, a name which was used in his inner circle. Why would you have “I Am” as part of your name?? And then he tells Harry they’ve met twice: Harry’s past, and Tom’s future, to which Harry had survived because his mom saved him. Well, no… technically that’s the same moment, from two different people’s perspectives… unless he also included their encounter from book 1
“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
Are you ready for Book 3?
March takes us to… the Prisoner of Azkaban!
Missed January & February but want to still join in? It’s not too late !
Check out the info page for more details and sign up to read along with all of us!