Annnd once again I have left it to the last minute to finish reading Harry Potter. I don’t know why, given that I’ve been so excited to re-read this series. Sorry about the few days delay in getting this post up, but the link-up for your own posts is down below!
Strangely timed that I spotted this tweet in my feed over the weekend while I was sitting down to start Prisoner of Azkaban:
If you are over 30 & are rereading the Harry Potter books, something is probably wrong with you.
— RainnWilson (@rainnwilson) March 29, 2014
Here are some point-form thoughts I made as I was reading this book for the whatever-th time:
- Ah! I forgot the Weasleys had won the lottery draw and gone to Egypt!
- First use of “bitch” was actually by Aunt Marge, not Molly in a later book… although in different context
- Also totally forgot Stan Shunpike wasn’t actually the Knight Bus driver
- Arthur & Harry “leaned” into platform 9 3/4… so why does everyone go charging at it with full speed?
- The first mention of Hogsmeade! The Wizarding World in Florida seems to be based so much on the Hogsmeade of this particular book… snow covered, Sirius Black wanted poster.. love it all. I want to go back!
- J.K. Rowling really does a great job of telling & recapping without just redigesting facts that fans already know. Given that it’s the third book, but she still explains elements of the story that were already established in the previous two.. but in a way that’s not just throwing info at you. Works so well into the narrative.
- Huh. I had actually never really paid attention to the scoring system for the Quidditch Cup and how it’s determined based on points and winning.. I really don’t know why, but not until this reading of it that I took extra notice.
- As much as I’m a Draco fan, he definitely starts to get his comeuppance in this book! LOVED the prank Harry & Ron pull on him and loved even more the slap from Hermione! I loved this feisty, more rebellious side to Hermione in this book.
- I definitely forgot more of this book than I realized. As I’m reading it, and knowing who Sirius is, I still am wondering how he’s going to get out of this predicament. I love forgetting it and getting to re-live it all again!
- Ah yes… the tail end of this book is when Harry gets into his ALL CAPS YELLING phase I think… and so it begins.
- Dumbledore was pretty scarce in this 3rd book actually… very few appearances.
And now for some fun!
In honour of this being the first mention of the patronus in the series, and with so many fun quizzes having made the rounds on the internet, I’ve picked one to see what your patronus would be!
Mine is pretty me, I’d say… quite happy with getting……
Are you ready for Book 4?
April means it’s time for… the Goblet of Fire!
Missed the previous months but want to still join in? It’s not too late !
Check out the info page for more details and sign up to read along with all of us!