I’m super behind on the fourth book’s rereading, mostly due to my focus being on Paris Month for all of April. I’ll really have to start Order of the Phoenix earlier in the month for May!
Some point-form thoughts while rereading Goblet of Fire:
- This is the first time in the series so far that it opens on a scene without Harry and not on Privet Drive. It definitely sets the tone for the second half of the series where it gets more and more darker.
- I always thought it strange that Mrs. Weasley offers to “get everyone’s school supplies” for them at Diagon Alley. With what money? Harry doesn’t pass along any currency over to her, and one mention later in the book suggests that she got some money out of Gringotts… but how would she have access to Harry’s vault with so much security?
- Knowing Cedric’s fate, Mr. Diggory’s comments about his son as they meet at the portkey is all the more sad and poignant.
- It’s interesting to see the actual descriptions of the Weasley boys versus how they’re depicted in the movie… quite opposite actually!
- Haha! I forgot about Draco the ferret, let alone the amazing bouncing ferret! (oh, the horrible hair on Harry in the 4th movie…)
- I don’t remember if it was ever mentioned (I don’t think so, but) who was the Dark Arts professor before Harry got to Hogwarts? Because technically Snape would have “missed out” on this job a lot longer than 4 years
- CONSTANT VIGILANCE!
- Always thought Beauxbaton was an all girls’ school. Forgot there were guys and girls that arrived in the carriage. Love their school crest thought! “Two crossed, golden wands, each emitting three stars.”
- Hah. I love the description & characteristics of the Veelas. Certainly have seen people in real life that would be considered a Veela! 😉
- And speaking of Veelas, Ron’s crush on Fleur, who ends up being a part of his life/family more than he’d realize, is a fun tidbit.
- While the Hogwarts students are in class, what are the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students doing? They have a whole year without class??
- Hm. He plays it off like a joke, but looks like Dumbledore gives us the first mention of the Room of Requirement.
And now for some fun!
Not that this particularly has to do with this specific book, but because of the 24 Hour Readathon last weekend, there was one hourly update mention of fanfiction… which got me thinking of the ones I’ve read in the past. I didn’t get into many HP fanfics, but I do remember liking the Draco Trilogy as well as a Draco/Harry slash one that I couldn’t remember until one helpful readathoner/new Twitter friend reminded me!
— Nat (@marenfuga) April 27, 2014
Actually titled Irresistible Poison, I definitely looked it up to reread again at some point as well! (Now that I see the title, I can’t believe I would have forgotten about this!) Interested? Check out this Harry/Draco fic over here!
Are you ready for Book 5?
May means it’s time for… the Order of the Phoenix!