I love the end of the year lists that are all popping up, and Top 10 Tuesday’s December recap and roundup of the year is a great way to look back at all the great books I read this year (and there were a lot of great ones!). Of course, some of the authors on this list have many books out, but I’ll just list the book(s) that I read this year that introduced me to their work.
Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2014
- Barry Lyga (Jasper Dent series) | Ohmygod. I have not devoured a series the way I did I Hunt Killers, Game and Blood of My Blood in a long time. Barry Lyga was, by far, the BEST new-to-me author discovery from this year.
- Sally Green (Half Bad) | Originally positioned to me like a “Draco” POV story, Half Bad was so much more than that and Sally Green has quickly made my list. Can’t wait for Half Wild.
- E. Lockhart (We Were Liars) | A lot of hype surrounded this book, and I’m glad I caved and read it as well.
- Josh Malerman (Bird Box) | Not only a great author but a great presenter. His book reading/signing at the Harper Collins office was an experience to remember.
- Matthew Quick (The Silver Linings Playbook) | An incredibly inspiring speaker, I was actually introduced to the author first at the book event before reading his work. Loved it.
- Hillary Monahan (Mary: The Summoning) | Kudos to the author who could write a really creepy ghost story that manages to throw me back to my childhood nightmares of the Bloody Mary urban legends.
- Sharon Biggs Waller (A Mad, Wicked Folly) | The first book I had read in 2014 set off the year on a great note.
- Ed Brubaker (Gotham Central) | Discovered while Ardo & I were chatting with someone in line at TCAF and loved this take on the Gotham police force.
- Mariko Tamaki & Jillian Tamaki (This One Summer) | Reminiscent of the summer cottage days, the writing and art were beautiful in this coming of age graphic novel.
- Amy Poehler (Yes Please), B.J. Novak (One More Thing) & Neil Patrick Harris (Choose Your Own Autobiography) | I grouped all three of these together as #10 because technically I’m not necessarily new to their writing as Amy & B.J. have written for TV, but these three are all new debut authors this year and I really enjoyed their books.
And of course, what made your Top 10 list this week?
Share your link and I’ll check it out too!