Taking a page (heh.) from Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner where she shares her Best of 2014 on all things non-book related, I wanted to share my own faves as well. So often the focus has been on books (obviously), that I don’t get a chance to share the other things I enjoyed too. I definitely didn’t see enough movies or go to many concerts to fill that part of it out but here’s some of the tunes, theatre and TV that made my Best of list.
2014 was definitely the year that I felt I got back into music again. There were the occasional songs that caught my attention but for whatever reason, I felt this last year I was more aware of a lot of great music. (Click on the song titles for a link to the song!)
- Taylor Swift – 1989 album | So many great tracks from this.. Blank Space, Welcome to New York, Style.. and of course Shake It Off.
- Mark Ronsen feat. Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk | Damn, that’s a catchy tune.
- you + me – rose ave. album | Collaboration with P!nk & Dallas Green, my fave tunes on this are Break the Cycle and You and Me
- Ed Sheeran – Sing | I distinctly remember hearing this song several times the morning of my wedding when the girls were all getting ready. Loved how catchy it is.
- Sam Smith – Stay With Me | This one creeped up on me. I had heard it everywhere but didn’t realize how much I loved it till I ended up buying the album.
- Hozier – Take Me To Church | I first heard this song on the radio during my morning commute and just fell in love with that beat.
- Cristin Milioti – La Vie En Rose | After hearing it on an episode of How I Met Your Mother, I not only fell in love with the song but knew that it had to be the exact version of the song I would walk down the aisle to.
- Frozen soundtrack | Eh…. I gotta put this on here. I (happily) couldn’t get Let It Go, Do You Want to Build a Snowman? and For The First Time in Forever out of my head.
Some years I get out to many theatre shows, and some years I don’t go to see many at all. 2014 was a great year for theatre in the city and I had the chance to check out a number of them.
- Aladdin the Musical | Before there was Frozen, Aladdin was the one that stood out as my all-time favourite Disney movie. So I was super excited to go see the production in Toronto before it made its way to Broadway. Great show and the Genie completely stole the show. His Tony award was well deserved.
- Wicked | How could I resist seeing my favourite musical for the fourth time when it was back in Toronto this year? As I haven’t seen the original cast live, I’d have to say that this production’s Glinda was pretty awesome. Absolutely hilarious portrayal of the Good Witch.
- Book of Mormon | There are so many rave reviews for this show, so we were super excited to go see it. While we did find it really funny, I think the “funniest show ever” kind of hype killed it a bit for us. Still really enjoyed it though. The leads were fantastic and the woman playing Nabulungi has the most fantastic voice.
- Don’t Stop Believin’ | This was an impromptu show that I stumbled upon. It was a one-night-only charity concert with the touring cast of Wicked and Book of Mormon! Really great show and it was cool to see them perform all kinds of genres of songs out of character (although in that respect, it was hard to recognize many of them not in costume!) I did wish they sang a bit more showtunes though.
Thanks to Netflix and, the new, shomi which allows us to binge-watch a ton of shows, I’ve had the chance to discover some great TV this past year. While I didn’t get around to watching many movies, television I made time for. There’s definitely a few that I don’t mention here (like How To Get Away With Murder) which I enjoyed but only managed to see an episode or two so far.
- Sherlock | Yes. Yes. Yes. I get it now. I get the love for Sherlock, I get the love for Benedict Cumberbatch. I fully whole-heartedly am in this fandom now. I watched all 3 seasons in 2014 but season 3 is definitely my favourite.
- Party Down | I remember seeing the ads for this in magazines and always meant to watch it but didn’t know when it was on. This was the first show that we binge-watched after signing up for shomi. Love the cast and all the cameos (so many Veronica Mars cast cameos!)
- The Flash | I loved Grant Gustin as Sebastian on Glee, so I was excited for this Arrow spinoff. I didn’t think I’d end up loving it as much as I do. It’s a fun, more light-hearted superhero show than Arrow and….
- Gotham | I enjoy origin stories, so while The Flash is my lighter comic book fare, Gotham is the darker grittier one that I love. I like the focus on the other characters, that it’s not all about Batman. It reminds me of Gotham Central, the graphic novel I read earlier in the year.
- Downton Abbey | Okay, I’m still slowly getting through the seasons that are on Netflix but this was another show that I gave into my curiosity for it. I, unfortunately, had spoiled some of what happens when I was surfing around on the airplane entertainment system and glimpsed a spoiler so I’ve been procrastinating on getting back into it since then.
- Supernatural | Another one that I gave into curiosity with and another show that I have yet to get around to continuing the series. I loved it, and given how much I love ghost shows, I was surprised I never watched this show earlier. I think I’m only onto season 4, so I know there are some great moments still to come.
I know I said I wasn’t going to list movies, as I didn’t really get around to seeing many this past year – however the ones I did see were all really good: Frozen, the Veronica Mars movie (finally!), Divergent and 21 Jump Street.
What about you? What made your Best of 2014 list in Tunes, Theatre (musicals, or movies), and TV?