My favourite year-end book survey, courtesy of Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner! Every year, Jamie hosts this survey and gives us all a chance to reflect on the books we read this past year. Looking back, I think there’s been one or two books every year that I’ve really fallen in love with and so each year-end survey tends to sound repetitive as those books I’ve loved end up being my answer for a number of these categories!
I also usually do a wrap-up giveaway post on top of the survey but this year I’m hosting it over on my Instagram! So click on over there at 1pm EST for your chance to win one of the books I read in 2016! (Full list can be found here). Open internationally (anywhere Book Depository ships to!) Giveaway closes January 7th at 11:59pm EST.
Final day of 2016 calls for a #giveaway and reveal of my top read of the year! See below for details on how you can win your choice of one of the 60 books I read this year! . #1: Born a Crime by @trevornoah. 🌅🤷🏽♂️ This phenomenal debut from the current host of @thedailyshow is a wonderful read. Born from a union that was illegal during apartheid, his very existence was evidence of what had taken place. Trevor talks about his childhood growing up in South Africa, his love for his mother and how she and his experiences shaped who he is today. #BornACrime is a truly eye-opening and fantastic read. . ⭐️Giveaway time! 📚 As I do every year, I host a giveaway to a lucky winner for their choice of one of any of the books I've read that year. Open internationally and closes Jan 7, 11:59pm EST. For a full list and more details on the giveaway, click the link in profile! . To enter: ☝️Follow @justalillost on Instagram ✌️Comment with what your favourite read of 2016 was (or which book from my full list you would like to win!) . Good luck and I hope you enjoyed this week's countdown of my Top 10 2016 reads!
2016 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: Looks like I’ll be at an even 60 this year
Number of Re-Reads: Just the one – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (but in illustrated format!)
Genre You Read The Most From: I think it might be mystery/thriller (aka “grip-lit”)
Best In Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
It was I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh until I read Trevor Noah’s Born a Crime.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh – for the best reasons.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
It would definitely have to be I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh (Born a Crime hasn’t been out as long.. that would be a close second!)
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
I actually haven’t read too many series of books in a while.. I’d say the best series I started, and it’s sequel would be Greg Iles’ Natchez Burning and The Bone Tree, respectively.
As for Series Ender, I guess I can sort of say Harry Potter and the Cursed Child?
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I rarely reread books, but I might reread Harry Potter and the Cursed Child since I’ll be going to see the play in 2017!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon (Nicola’s first book Everything, Everything was my fave cover of last year!)
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
“Professor Andrew Martin” from The Humans by Matt Haig
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
Zoe Whittall’s The Best Kind of People
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Just One Day by Gayle Forman. I had heard of all the love for this and can’t believe I didn’t read it until this year’s Paris Month.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
This is always a tough one to pinpoint… I don’t always remember to take a photo of interesting quotes or passages as I’m reading it, but this one from The Female of The Species stuck out to me because of how accurate it still is.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest: Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan (48 pages)
Longest: The Bone Tree by Greg Iles (804 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Oh, 1000000% I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Natasha and Daniel in The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon, also coming in a close second is Louisa Clark and Will Traynor in Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Trevor Noah and his mom in his book Born a Crime
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
I had to think long and hard about this before realizing the obvious answer: Jest from Heartless by Marissa Meyer
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
24. Best World-building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Probably Greg Iles’ Natchez Burning and The Bone Tree.. especially since I read these hefty tomes back to back. Fantastic story though – can’t wait for the finale to the trilogy out next year!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
I don’t really cry at books (or nearly cry).. but I guess Me Before You made me feel kinda sad.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Kay’s Lucky Coin Variety by Ann Y.K. Choi
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
I’d probably have to say The Hatching (uggggggh….)
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
The Humans by Matt Haig
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Hah. Once again, it’ll have to be The Hatching – and in this case it is 100% because I didn’t like it when I really was hoping I would.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
This is hard to say.. I honestly haven’t been as up to speed on new book blogs this past year.. I’ve barely kept up with my own, and just checking out the ones I already follow.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
Funny enough, I might actually have to say my review for The Hatching.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
It would have to be my discussion on whether you DNF a book or push through and finish it.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
As much as meeting Alan Cumming and Mara Wilson are definitely up there, I’ll have to say being one of the first in line for a wristband to Trevor Noah’s first ever book signing for Born a Crime was amazing.
13 hours after first lining up this morning at 7am to get the book and "ticket", I finally got to meet @trevornoah and tell him what a fantastic job he's doing on the @thedailyshow ! Excited that Toronto is his first book signing. Halfway through #BornACrime and absolutely loving it. (It was a pleasure being first in line with you @turrrrn!) . (To clarify, I wasn't waiting in line FOR 13 hours.. 😉)
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
Getting to hang out with all my fellow bookish bloggers 🙂
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding time! Not so much reading necessarily, because I always find time somehow to get a few pages in but finding the time and motivation to sit at my laptop and actually write my reviews and schedule posts.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Not counting my Paris Month wrap-up/giveaway, it would be my review of Ann Y.K. Choi’s Kay’s Lucky Coin Variety!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Nothing specific necessarily that comes to mind!
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
That Book Outlet is available via eBates! (woohoo cashback!), and my Wizarding World Loot Crate subscription!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed the annual 50 book pledge (via Harper Collins Canada and Goodreads). I meant to get around to rereading the entire Harry Potter series before going to see the play next year but only got around to the first one so far..
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
Oh my.. there are so many.. besides the rest of the Harry Potter series, I’m just gonna say I’d like to get through a good chunk of my ARCs from 2016, in 2017.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
There’s a few.. Becky Albertalli’s The Upside of Unrequited and the new origin stories of The X-Files
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
Greg Iles’ conclusion to the Natchez Burning trilogy: Mississippi Blood.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Get back on track with my review writing!
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
None yet, but I have a handful of ARCs ready to be read, and if they’re as good as I think they will be, those will be the answer to this question!